Anthropometry of Male Farmers in Laguna, Philippines and its Potential Applications in the Design of Agricultural Machines and Tools
Omar F. Zubia1, Delfin C. Suministrado2, Arsenio N. Resurreccion2, Rossana Marie C. Amongo1, Fernando O. Paras Jr.1, and Marvin C. Petingco3
Thirty three different body measurements that have direct implications to the designs of agricultural machines were collected from 123 male farmers in Laguna. Results showed that the farming population in the province has an average age of 40 years with 70% belonging to the 20 to 50 years age bracket. The remaining 30% were 50 years and older. The “average male farmer” stands 161.8 cm or about 5 ft 4 in tall with standard deviation of 6.3 cm. The application of the anthropometric data gathered were used in the analysis of tool designs and illustrated through examples. Since it is unwise to design for the average person because very few individuals are exactly like the “average person”, the values of the 5th and 95th percentile were used for adjustable design purposes. The results from this study can be used as guides in future designs of agricultural machines suitable for Filipino farmers. It is strongly recommended that extensive anthropometric survey be carried out in different regions of the country to generate a complete anthropometric profile of Filipino male and female farmers for future design reference.
Keywords: anthropometry, percentile, farmers, design
1Assistant Professors, 2Professors, 3Instructor, Agricultural Machinery Division, Institute of Agricultural Engineering, College of Engineering & Agro-Industrial Technology, University of the Philippines Los Baños, 4031 College, Laguna, Philippines.